What is #GivingTuesday?
Entering its fifth year, #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
With #GivingTuesday just around the corner, we’re here to help you join the celebration by spreading the message and raising funds for NMO research.
100% of your donation goes to NMO research.
When is #GivingTuesday?
November 29, 2016
Advisor Donates $10,000 to NMO for #GivingTuesday!
Kicking off the celebration, Guthy-Jackson Foundation Medical Advisor, Michael Yeaman, Ph.D., donated $10,000 to NMO research, and invites the #GivingTuesday community to match his donation. “What’s unique about neuromyelitis optica (NMO),” Dr. Yeaman says, “is its potential to help find cures for other autoimmune diseases, like multiple sclersosis, Lupus, Crohn’s disease, and many others.” With a known biomarker, a blood test, and current research working toward finding solutions, NMO is often referred to as “the little [rare] disease that could” lead to big discoveries.
How can I help NMO research on #GivingTuesday?
We’ve created tools and resources for you to join the cause! Start by visiting and sharing the NMO #GivingTuesday webpage to help educate and advocate for NMO. Be sure to reference “#GivingTuesday” for any donation. Keep reading for easy ways to join the NMO #GivingTuesday movement:
Create an NMO Fundraiser on Facebook
Gates Foundation & Facebook Join #GivingTuesday!
Facebook and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will contribute up to $1 million to Facebook fundraisers. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will provide $500,000 in matching funds, up to $1,000 per Facebook fundraiser, and Facebook will waive up to $500,000 of fees on all donations. Start a Facebook Fundraiser to raise money for NMO. Questions? Read our blog post for more information.
Change Your Facebook Profile Frame
You can raise awareness for NMO by updating your Facebook profile image to include a #GivingTuesday NMO profile frame. Click on the image below:
Take an #UNselfie after you’ve donated to NMO
What is an #UNselfie?
The #UNselfie, or the selfless selfie, is a powerful way to show how you are giving and why giving is important to you.
How do I #Unselfie?
- Click Here to download the NMO #unselfie template (or create your own).
- Take a “selfie” photo with a caption (or have it on a card in the picture) explaining how or why you and/or your friends are “giving” this year.
- Always use the hashtags #UNselfie and #GivingTuesday.
- Post it to Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter and share with friends!
- Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Need help creating your message? Here are some ideas for you:
- Today, on #GivingTuesday, I helped cure a rare autoimmune disease called neuromyelitis optica (NMO) that can cause blindness and/or paralysis. Join me in finding a cure for #NMO! https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/giving-tuesday/
- I’m making a difference on #GivingTuesday by supporting a rare autoimmune disease that can be confused with multiple sclerosis (#MS) called neuromyelitis optica (#NMO). Let’s make a difference together and support NMO research! https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/giving-tuesday/
- A “rare” disease isn’t rare if it happens to you. There are over 7,000 rare diseases. I’m helping cure one of them called neuromyelitis optica (#NMO). Make a difference with me and support research today on #GivingTuesday! https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/giving-tuesday/
- Today on #GivingTuesday, I ask you: Do you know NMO? A rare autoimmune disease, neuromyelitis optica (NMO) has been reported to be first diagnosed as multiple sclerosis and can cause blindness and/or paralysis. Join me and donate to research! https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/giving-tuesday/ #NMO #MS #kNOwNMO
- I’m part of the cure for a rare autoimmune disease called neuromyelitis optica (#NMO). While this is a “little” disease in the medical community, it has BIG potential to help cure other diseases like multiple sclerosis (#MS). https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/giving-tuesday/ #NMO #MS #kNOwNMO
- Today’s #GivingTuesday and I just helped to cure neuromyelitis optica (NMO). Helping #NMO helps autoimmunity! Learn more and donate: http://bit.ly/2f4BApk
- I’m part of the cure for #NMO. Want to make a big difference for a “little” disease? earn more and donate: http://bit.ly/2f4BApk
Thank you for joining the celebration and being part of the cure to Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO)! – The GJCF Team